Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Craftsman push lawnmower wobble after hitting rocks won't start

On Jul 11, 6:01*pm, "James H." wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 02:35:08 -0400, Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I can do a steering wheel on a car with one hit. A mower flywheel is
childs play.

In the end, the flywheel was easy to get off once I 1/4x20 tapped the two
holes drilled for that purpose but never tapped by the manufacturer and
then used a harmonic balancer puller which lifted it right off in seconds..

One thing I just don't understand though.

How is hitting DOWN on the CRANKSHAFT supposed to free the flywheel in the
bang-and-lift method?

Can someone explain the logic of banging on the crankshaft to remove the
flywheel?

I'll try (sigh) There is some end play in the crank whether you can
feel it or not. The lift with the prybar / screwdriver, takes that up,
the hammer blow drives the crankshaft down, while the lift holds the
flywheel up causing the crankshaft to move through the flywheel. The
hammer blow needs to be quick rather than hard.