Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Fixing a hole--update

On Jul 11, 11:57*am, "cshenk" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

So I'm thinking along a couple of lines he
1. Metal plate might not be a bad way to go. But instead of plopping the
plate over the hole, with brackets to hold it in place, I'm thinking of a
plate flush with the floor, built up to the height of the wood cover
(~1-1/2")) along the edge. I'm planning on getting a price on this Monday.
Once fabricated, I could just caulk the hell out of the ledge, place the
plate, then caulk the gap to seal it.

This wouldnt add substantial weight and would fill the hole but probably
would not support a car.

Code spec issues come up as well as liability. *It doesn't sound to me like
the setup is code-spec now but it may be ok as the room under isn't living
space. *I'd have that checked out. *This could be a very costly mistake if
done wrong and someone later is hurt.

I don't know how the existing condition meets any code in the first
place. A suspended 4" slab to support a car? Wood joists to support
concrete? The whole thing is a kludge.

The liability issue should not be ignored. I'd rather walk away from
a little bit of money, than open myself up to a boatload of
liability. Can you imagine the lovely glossy picture enlargements,
showing the car covered in debris under the ex-patched hole? A jury
would love them.