Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Dog cluctch

I'm involved with a repair project to restore an old
sickle bar hay mower that may be about 50 years
old. The manufacturer is unknown and there is no
parts manual either. The input shaft that connects
to the pto shaft has a 'dog clutch' (that's what I'm
calling it for lack of a better term) that is worn out.
The drive lugs are gone and someone in the past
welded the two parts of the clutch together! Not
good! So I made a replacement unit but I don't know
what the angles of the drive lugs should be. The two
halves are held in engagement by a heavy spring.
I can't find any info on the web about this unit so
I'm guessing for a start that the angle of contact is
45 deg simply because I had a cutter to do that.
Now it's back in service but it ratchets too easily
so maybe the contact angle is wrong? Anyone out
there in RCM know what I'm talking about? Perhaps
the angle should be only 30 deg.? This unit is 3 inches
in dia. with a 1.25" bore....
phil kangas