Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Should have got one years ago - welding auto-mask

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article f0r_n.154431$NM4.17612@hurricane,
Mark wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got one of these some time ago and I'd say it essential for anyone
other than the most skilled.

All I need now is some tips on welding 1mm steel on the car. I can't
seem to find that sweet spot between burning holes and the wire
sticking to the steel. I've got a SIP Migmate Turbo 130. Using argon.

I've no problem making a decent job of thicker stuff.

You should be able to weld 1mm steel quite easily, but not if 50% of
it's thickness is rust ;(

Not much point in trying to fix new metal to rust?
It's been cut back to good.

Oh - it's not easy. Or rather most say it's not. Like many skills.

I*started with a Clark 100e on Co2 and replaced the sills and floorpan on an
MGB without any problem, then similar on a midget and Mk1 Escort.*
I did learn to use an ark welder first, after that Mig, even with a bottom of
the range model IS easy.**
\0