Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Boric Acid and Insects

Boric acid is effective against SOME pests and for different reasons.
Ant bait with b.a. is carried to the nest and fed to the colony. Some
people recommend mixing dry b.a. with a fatty substance for ant bait,
but ants don't consume dry b.a., thus the sugar/syrupy mixture. It is
used to treat carpet to keep flea eggs from hatching .. or kill them as
they hatch? Some people use b.a. as a barrier against roaches...would
be nice around a building, if it worked, but it is also water soluble so
disappears in the rain.

The wife insists on keeping on trying it as above but it's not until I
come in when she's not around w/ the Amdro or other bait that the
problem ever is resolved...

Again, ime, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ... but I put very little credence
in the effectiveness. I suspect it's the ineffectiveness of the
homemade delivery system rather than if one could get the little buggers
to actually take the BA, but they're too busy w/ the bait to bother w/
the payload...

Termites do not leave their tunnels, unless they make mating flights,
and ALWAYS avoid light...you cannot put b.a. any place that will kill them.

Indeed; I thought I told OP essentially that????

Altho, of course, one needs first still to determine what the pest
actually is first which I don't have much confidence in in this case as
having yet been done.