Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Does a 1,000 gallon propane tank get special paint (any ideas on a pattern?)

"Kat Rabun" wrote

My 1,000 gallon propane white tank has been in need of a paint job ever
since I bought the house fifteen years ago.

Two questions about painting a propane tank.
1) Does it take regular house (brush on) paint?

It can but you really want a good paint this time because it's a fairly
awkward job and a better (oil based) paint will last longer. Like the
others said, get every spec of rust off with a wire 'dremmel' (need not be
named that, you want an electric drill with the wire brush attachment to
make this go fast and do NOT skip the safety goggles! Flying rust bts in
your eyes are very bad juju). Light colored paints only. Optimal is white
or silver as others have said. A hot tank will release it's load on you
through the safety valve. This is why in hot climate spots, they often have
a little roof shed over them, open at the sides but shading it.

2. Any idea of a pattern that might be interesting? (cow markings
perhaps?)

Grin, I have indeed seen ones with designs. Done in very light pastels on
white. The cutest one was painted white with a little pale pastel pink
'piggy' outline with silver 'toenails' on the 'legs'. It's fine to dress it
up a little as long as you stick to very light shades. Check the links
below then call your propane supplier who will know the rules for your area.

http://www.ehow.com/way_6149600_colo...gas-tanks.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5845959_deco...ane-tanks.html