Posted to alt.home.repair
AngryOldWhiteGuy AngryOldWhiteGuy is offline

Default Boric Acid and Insects

We used a clear,brush-on liquid that was mainly Borax when we discovered
termites in the wall behind a tile \ tub enclosure. We tore down the tile
and the wallboard, took out the tub, and saw the critters in the studs.
After getting all of the tile and wallboard debris out, and letting the
studs and surrounding area dry - we doused the studs and whatever that piece
of wood is called that lays horizontally along the concrete slab with this
borax stuff, let it dry, and then used a tub\shower insert instead of doing
it over with tile. I believe the idea is that the temintes eat the wood
that's infused with Borax, and they die.

I've also used a dry Borax powder in crawl-spaces near food pantrys and
water-sources and haven't seen an ant here in almost 7 years.

wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 07:22:00 -0700 (PDT), DebbieOney
wrote:

Hi,

I posted under a subject of termites about boric acid. I wanted to
see what experiences people, who did not read that post, have had with
boric acid for insect control. A friend has a termite problem on the
3rd floor (found droppings). Has anyone used boric acid for insect
control? Did you take any safety measures using that product?

Thanks in advance for all input.

If you really have termites, call a pro. There is not really any way
for a homeowner to deal with them.
Boric acid will be of little use because you have no way to get it
into their food stream. The food is your house.