Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Boric Acid and Insects

DebbieOney wrote:
Hi,

I posted under a subject of termites about boric acid. I wanted to
see what experiences people, who did not read that post, have had with
boric acid for insect control. A friend has a termite problem on the
3rd floor (found droppings). Has anyone used boric acid for insect
control? Did you take any safety measures using that product?

Thanks in advance for all input.

It's renowned by many; I've never seen it have much effect at all,
personally. I've never heard of it even being attempted to use for
termites.

I have to say this seems like excessive obsession over eliminating a
problem.

If, indeed there are termites, as many said in the other thread you
first have to determine which variety it is and deal with it appropriately.

Most likely in most of the US is that they are subterranean and if are
indeed infesting a 3rd floor apartment in all likelihood they're also in
both the 1st and 2nd as well and the whole building will need treatment.

If that is what they are, they have to have a source of water and
generally that is back at a ground location or somewhere that has a
water leak or collection from poor drainage or maintenance. They build
mud tunnels and traverse from the nest to the location within the
building at which they are found; finding and eliminating the nesting
site and fixing the related issues is imperative; simply placing a local
poison of whatever type to get a few of the visible adults will solve
nothing.

As was also noted in the other thread, properly used and handled,
pesticides are not particularly dangerous. It is only the misuse or the
use of inappropriate or failing to take sensible precautions as directed
that has any significant likelihood of causing any problems at all.

Again, worrying about the product to use is the last step here, not the
first. As you are approaching the problem if your neighbor/friend
really does have a termite problem (certainly not conclusive to be so)
he/she/they are going to have no success unless as noted begin with
ascertaining what the problem actually is and where. Period.

If, otoh, it's a misidentified ant or somesuch, scattering a few boric
acid crystals around _might_ discourage them but the odds aren't good of
that either ime...