Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Should have got one years ago - welding auto-mask

John expressed precisely :
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
dennis@home
wibbled on Saturday 10 July 2010 11:19

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Got one of these some time ago and I'd say it essential for anyone other
than the most skilled.

All I need now is some tips on welding 1mm steel on the car. I can't
seem to find that sweet spot between burning holes and the wire sticking
to the steel. I've got a SIP Migmate Turbo 130. Using argon.

A gas welder?
I tried it (on a Hillman avenger) with a stick welder once and then used
gas.
Its been 35 years since and I have never tried to weld sheet that thin
since.
I suspect its practice and more practice.

Practice, decent MIG and clean metal.

I've done 1mm steel with a Cebora MIG and CO2. Best practice on some scrap
first and adjust wire feed and current until it works. Plenty of gas too.

On the car, clean the metal along the weld line as well as practical -
makes
a huge difference not trying to weld through rust and crap.

If possible, cut back to or weld over a bit that isn't corroded so extreme
thinness.

I agree, it does take some pratting around setting up, but once there, even
a relative novice like me can pull a decent weld on car bodywork.

This assumes the welder is decent as in smooth wire feed and repeatable
settings.

-- Tim Watts

It must be a bit scary when you first use this type of mask. Fear of what
would happen if it didn't work.

It was but I have suffered arc eye before, trying to hold things with
one hand, the rod holder with the other and closing my eyes to tack
weld in place.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)