Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_8_] Jay-T[_8_] is offline

Default filling hinge mortises?

"N8N" wrote in message
Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) and chisel new ones in a different
location. I'm trying to think what to buy when I go to the store;
shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) I thought of
using paint sticks but I think they will be too narrow. (3-1/2"
hinges) they did save my butt once on an old paned window though;
someone had busted the thin bit of a mullion and a paint stick shaped
with a knife was just the right size G my landlord thought I was a
genius... (he was easily impressed)

thanks

nate

Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Easy to use. Works great. Available at
Ace Hardware and probably Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes in a round can.
Here's what it looks like:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Durham_...m?1=1&CartID=0