Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default RS & Parcelforce, getting seriously OT

On 11 Jul,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

All of which actually shows that you know absolutely nothing about the
production of food, and seasoning it properly ...

The salt cannot be added afterward, because then, what you taste is salt.
Seasoning, as I said, is not about tasting salt in the food. It is
absolute nonsense to suggest that professional and trained cooks are
addicted to salt. It's just that they have a trained palate, which you
obviously don't, and understand the importance of the use of correct
levels of salt, to properly bring out the flavours of the other
ingredients.

Or maybe they have trained their palates to expect food to taste as it
does when seasoned? They are used to it and therefor it tastes wrong
without it? I'm not saying they are addicted to it, just used to a
certain way of food tasting.

Are you seriously suggesting that every world class and renowned Michelin
starred chef is wrong ?

If they need to use salt then yes. I've never needed to add salt to cover up
bland food. Salt tastes foul to me.

Certainly ISTM that limiting the salt you add to your food, seems to
change how much you taste the salt added to food.

You get used to excessive salt. Try without for a month or so and you will
wonder why you ever added it.

Your concept is utterly wrong. You do not taste the salt added to food
during its preparation - unless its use has been heavy handed. The salt is
put in, in *small* and correct quantities to 'bring out' the flavours of
other ingredients, as they combine in the cooking process, to produce new
flavours. It acts as a sort of flavour catalyst, if you like. Used wrongly,
it becomes a taste in its own right, so if that is the only way that you
have ever experienced its presence, then you have never either eaten
correctly prepared food, or used it correctly in your own cooking. It's not
easy to get it right, which is why there are professional chefs with
naturally good palates. That is their gift, and why they are professional
chefs.

And why I rarely eat out.

I've not for many years added salt to food when cooking it as a rule
(though sometimes there will be some in it from say using soy Sauce, or
whatever) and I'd object to the accusation that my food is bland :-) -
other people seem to be very happy with it.

Me too. Not for over 40 years.

But why not add salt ?

It tastes foul

But I think that this a different argument from that about the amount of
salt in a lot or prepared and processed foods in supermarkets. where it
does seem that higher levels of salt and sugar are used to try to give
the foods a 'taste', that really is just relying on these high levels.
People get used to this and then expect things to taste like that.

It is difficult to get processed food that isn't salty, but it is possible
with reading the small print on labels. If salt isn't mentioned it's probably
too high.

It is indeed a different argument, and I don't dispute that manufacturers
will add excess salt to crap ingredients to obtain a strong savoury taste
that I'm sure that people get used to, but that is misuse of salt as an
'ingredient', rather than correct use of salt as an enhancement to the
flavour blending process - called 'seasoning'

Like the renowned monosod. glucamate(SP?) flavor enhacer. Just makes you want
to consume more, water in the case of salt.

I'm not a great eater of such things, but I find now that prepared soups
say are often very salty - almost to the point of being uneatable for me
- esp tinned ones, but also sometimes the chilled ones.

I've found /some/ of the Aldi ones ok.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply