Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RS & Parcelforce, getting seriously OT

Arfa Daily wrote:

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
wrote

We actually own a family food business,

That's the problem with too much salt in food. People in the
business are addicted to salt and tasting it all day doesn't give
them salty "hit" so they always add a bit more... and then a little
bit more ...and then a little bit more. Like all drug addicts a
reasonable amount doesn't satisfy their cravings.

All of which actually shows that you know absolutely nothing about
the production of food, and seasoning it properly ...

The salt cannot be added afterward, because then, what you taste is
salt. Seasoning, as I said, is not about tasting salt in the food. It
is absolute nonsense to suggest that professional and trained cooks
are addicted to salt. It's just that they have a trained palate,
which you obviously don't, and understand the importance of the use
of correct levels of salt, to properly bring out the flavours of the
other ingredients.

Or maybe they have trained their palates to expect food to taste as
it does when seasoned? They are used to it and therefor it tastes
wrong without it? I'm not saying they are addicted to it, just used to
a certain way of food tasting.

Are you seriously suggesting that every world class and renowned
Michelin starred chef is wrong ?

Certainly ISTM that limiting the salt you add to your food, seems to
change how much you taste the salt added to food.

Your concept is utterly wrong. You do not taste the salt added to food
during its preparation - unless its use has been heavy handed. The salt
is put in, in *small* and correct quantities to 'bring out' the flavours
of other ingredients, as they combine in the cooking process, to produce
new flavours. It acts as a sort of flavour catalyst, if you like. Used
wrongly, it becomes a taste in its own right, so if that is the only way
that you have ever experienced its presence, then you have never either
eaten correctly prepared food, or used it correctly in your own cooking.
It's not easy to get it right, which is why there are professional chefs
with naturally good palates. That is their gift, and why they are
professional chefs.

I've not for many years added salt to food when cooking it as a rule
(though sometimes there will be some in it from say using soy Sauce,
or whatever) and I'd object to the accusation that my food is bland
:-) - other people seem to be very happy with it.

But why not add salt ?

Soy sauce has lots of added salt.

But I think that this a different argument from that about the amount
of salt in a lot or prepared and processed foods in supermarkets.
where it does seem that higher levels of salt and sugar are used to
try to give the foods a 'taste', that really is just relying on these
high levels. People get used to this and then expect things to taste
like that.

It is indeed a different argument, and I don't dispute that
manufacturers will add excess salt to crap ingredients to obtain a
strong savoury taste that I'm sure that people get used to, but that is
misuse of salt as an 'ingredient', rather than correct use of salt as an
enhancement to the flavour blending process - called 'seasoning'

Agreeed.

I'm not a great eater of such things, but I find now that prepared
soups say are often very salty - almost to the point of being
uneatable for me - esp tinned ones, but also sometimes the chilled
ones. Similarly for other chilled prepared foods or things like pies
or pasties

I used to buy a chicken slice from a local family baker. Then, all of a
sudden, they got onto this health crack about salt, and completely
stopped using it in their fillings. The taste quality of their slice
went from superb to rubbish overnight. With the small amount of salt
that had previously been added to the mix, the flavour of the chicken
and potatoes and onions used to burst out as both individual items and a
combined flavour. After the salt was removed, the filling became a bland
chicken-coloured gloop, typical of what you find in supermarket pasties.
This sad demise of what was previously a top quality 'home baked'
product was not because you could no longer taste salt that had been
added to crap ingredients, but that the flavour combinations created
from the quality ingredients being used, were no longer being enhanced
by the correct addition of seasoning to the mix, prior to cooking. No
amount of salt added afterward, would have restored that same flavour
quality, emphasising that it is *not* about the taste of the salt
itself, Chris.

Arfa

I agree.

A correctly sorted body will excrete salt damned fast.

I think the worse danger is that you then lose chloride ions too fast.
So I use sea salt that mas a lot of chlorine in it as well. The other
way to pick up chlorides IIRC is to eat fruit and veg.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about salt.

And food in general. Balance is all. If your body is short of something,
you get hunger and cravings: if you don't put the right food in, you get
unbalanced chemistry and THAT is the problem.

My niece has had to get all vegetable oils out of her diet,.. Ruins her
skin apparently.

--
Chris French