Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default RS & Parcelforce

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message lEPZn.173226$NW.8404@hurricane, Arfa Daily
writes
Today, I ordered five 8 pin chips from RS. And how are they coming ? By
DHL for christ's sake. Why ? It's coming 10 miles down the road from
Corby. Use the Bloody Post office and a Jiffy bag ! It's gotta be
cheaper than using a courier for small packages, hasn't it ?

I get this all the time "can't you just post it?"

No I f'king can't

Who do you think is going to leave work, go 15 minutes down the road,
stand in a queue behind half a dozen people for another 15 minutes and
then come back having lost all in all about an hour of productive work

-- geoff

But a company the size of RS is going to have Royal Mail collection, so
nobody is going to have to go down to the Post Office, are they ?

But that's what I'm getting asked to do on occasions

Yes, and being a small company, I can understand that you cannot accommodate
them, and if you've never used Royal Mail for your shipments, then that is
your company policy, and that's fine.

Do you drive down to whoever you use as a courier every night ? No, of
course you don't. The whole point is that they, and others like them, used
to employ common sense and joined up thinking, and use the delivery
service that was the most appropriate and cost effective for the size of
the shipment,

No, they have never done that in my experience

good example I remember well a couple of years ago

they sent me a toroidal transformer in a jiffy bag and some other light
items in a cardboard box separately

All of the component companies have always done nonsense like that, but I
think that is more down to the morons employed in dispatch, rather than
company policy. RS, and Farnell for that matter, used to send out small
items by Royal Mail, in a Jiffy bag, by default, and for the most part, the
bits arrived in the post, at a predictable time, the next morning when you
needed them, and undamaged. The shipping policies that both of these
companies have now, for the most part preclude this ever happening any more,
and it is unhelpful to all concerned, including them, because if I can find
an alternative supplier for my orders each time, who will ship them Royal
Mail, then they will get the order, irrespective of whether they are a few
pennies dearer, or charge for shipping.

Arfa

and the destination. RS certainly used to send small local items out by
Royal Mail. Now, some kid with a university degree in logistics stupidity,
determines that everything is going to get sent out via some half-arsed
courier that they've done a deal with to save a penny here and there, and
sod the requirements of the customer ...

It is a sheer bloody nuisance not knowing when a small package is going to
arrive, especially when parts are needed for a job in a hurry. It is also
a bloody nuisance when they need a signature, and won't leave a package if
they can't get one, even when it is in a Jiffy bag, and would fit through
the letterbox. If you then need the bits in a hurry, you have to drive
perhaps 20 or more miles to their depot, after the truck finally gets
back, and before their collection desk closes. At least if the Post Office
can't deliver personally, it's back with them just down the road, by
lunchtime.

Arfa

--
geoff