Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Whole house fan - possible to add variable speed?

Jon Danniken wrote:
Lee B wrote:
Is the variable speed a function of the fan itself or can that be
added at the switch?

It is a function of the motor, which will be a split-phase induction motor.
You either have a motor designed with multiple windings for multiple speeds,
or you don't. If you don't, the only practical way would be to replace the
motor with one designed with multiple windings, or get a new unit.

If you do have a motor designed with that feature, it will be a simple
manner of wiring up an appropriate switch to select between the speeds
available.

Jon

Thanks. Is that something an electrician could tell by looking at the
unit? (No point in telling me what to look for, I'm not built for
climbing a ladder up into that little trap door to the attic... or worse
trying to climb back down!). I got the old fan at Sears and also got the
variable speed dial there. I can't remember what I paid for that fan 20+
yr ago, but I know it wasn't a top of the line or anything special. I
sort of assumed they all worked the same and was surprised when I
encountered this one.

I can't use the fan too often, living in the mid-Atlantic where it's
often too humid to suck that wet air in. But we've had a few really
pleasant evenings where the humidity was low, and it would be nice to
turn off the A/C and feel like I'm saving $.