Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Gluing brass

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:03:04 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

I am trying to glue a 0.006" brass foil to a mild steel plate. I have done
it in the past but forgot what I used (note to self: keep better records!).

I have run several small scale trials and for some reason the results are
dismal: JB Weld, Devcon 2-ton, E6000, household Goop, Jelly cyanoacrylate -
the brass just peels off like I am using school glue!

I abrade both surfaces. I clean with acetone. I leave to cure for 24 hours
at least (that includes the CA). Nada!

What am I missing? BTW it is the *brass* side of things where the glues do
not stick.

I wonder if you'd have better luck if you brush-plated the brass with
nickel or tin.