Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Whole house fan - possible to add variable speed?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:07:06 +0000,
(DA) wrote:

Current house came with a whole house fan (not an attic fan, but the
kind in a hallway ceiling that sucks air into the attic). I was happy
to see that because I really liked the one in my old house.

It sucks conditioned air from inside the house into the attic? Is it a
finished attic? Otherwise I can't see any logic in using this fan. Sounds
like the only speed setting you'd want on it is OFF.

Some homes in SW Georgia (in the late 80's) had just a fan like the OP
mentions. It had just a light switch in the hall.

If you had very large shade trees and the Sun was right you opened a
window on the cool side of the house. Create a draft. In the kitchen,
close all windows and open the back door while cooking. It drafted the
heat into the hall fan and out the attic.

At night only open a BR window.