Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default filling hinge mortises?

On Jul 9, 7:59*am, N8N wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:59*am, willshak wrote:

N8N wrote the following:

Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. *I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) and chisel new ones in a different
location. *I'm trying to think what to buy when I go to the store;
shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) *I thought of
using paint sticks but I think they will be too narrow. *(3-1/2"
hinges) *they did save my butt once on an old paned window though;
someone had busted the thin bit of a mullion and a paint stick shaped
with a knife was just the right size G *my landlord thought I was a
genius... (he was easily impressed)

thanks

nate

Go to AC Moore, Michaels, or other hobby store and pick up some
hobby/craft Basswood planks (not balsa).
They are about 2' or 3' long, 3" or 4" wide, and various thicknesses.
AAMOF, I have a left over piece in my hand that is 3/16" thick and 3"
wide. This particular piece was cut and is currently 17" long.
I built dollhouse furniture with it.

Ah, so they do sell same? *I have a Michael's on my way home from
work, I will def. check this out. *I knew there had to be an easy
solution, just couldn't think of it.

nate- Hide quoted text -

Dunno if It has been mentioned. In my 'rehab a shack' project I had
several places that need filling. Drywall mud does a wonderful job of
it. Takes multiple coats due to the shrinkage and then some sanding.
As long as it is only to level the surface for paint and has no stress
on it it seems to last forever. I did some in uh....around mid 80s
and it is still perfect.

Harry K