Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John John is offline

Default Repairing an expensive speaker

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:15:17 -0400, John wrote:

Some one made some reference to the use WD40 to melt the glue

I had an interesting experience with that powerful staff:
The spring load cover of an outdoor power outlet that I have, made a
screeching noise when lifted. I sprayed it with WD40 and the cover
toke off like an Arab rocket.
Einstein once defined a stupid person the one who does the same thing
and expects a different result so I did the stupid thing of
installing a new cover and spray again with WD40 and obviously the
result was the same.
Installed another cover and no more spraying. The nasty WD40 melted
the plastic holding the spring.

Ref: Material to hold the coil in position :
I used, 65 years ago, strips of plastic from photographic film
negatives.
Boston Acoustics sells a speaker with a removable voice coil and
attached to the cone by screws. There is a metal ring with threaded
holes glued to the cone.

Thank you to everybody . Fantastic help

John