Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Woodworking Auction Today. Some real nice Cherry wood

Bob AZ wrote:

Some questions. I knew or think I know that 5/4ths lumber will plane
clean 1". So is lumber that planes clean 2", 9/4ths? And does lumber
that planes clean to an even inch size command a premium.

Hardwood is dimensioned on the roughsawn sizes in quarters of an inch.
Thus 1" RS is known as 4/4 (pronounced 4-quarter). Other fractions the
same way, even up to 12/4, etc., ...

Bulk hardwood is graded and priced by grade and dimension. Thicker and
wider pieces of same grade obviously draw a higher pricing than do
lesser. It's not based on surfaced dimensions at all; only rough
dimensions and is priced on a bd-ft or 1000 bd-ft basis.

Retail is a different story on pricing and, of course, often things will
not draw anywhere near what those prices are at auction (unless there's
the runaway buyer that does happen on occasion, of course).