Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Some success with a servo drive/tachometer mode

Ignoramus30064 wrote:

Jon, the way I am planning to do things, estop will cut power to servo
amps and will also stop the spindle by interrupting its signal circuit.

Well, you might want to think about having a braking resistor switched
in when the
servo power is cut off. Something like a 10 Ohm 25 W resistor on the NC
relay
contacts that drains energy from the motors via the DC bus.
I would like to know, what do you think is the best mode to run these
amps: voltage mode, torque mode or tach mode? Any thoughts on this?

I would run in velocity (tach) mode. You have the tachs on the machine
now, all
it takes is a little bit of wire to connect them. You should be able to
get smooth motion even
at low speeds with the tachs. I am using velocity servo mode on my
Bridgeport, and never
had a problem with them.

Jon