Lawrence Wasserman

Default Measuring Devices / Tape Measures

In article ,
Nick Bozovich wrote:
I was watching Norm today - he was measuring up a piece of lumber, and he
used a tape measure. I couldn't tell what brand, but it made me think about
the worthless tape measure I have in my shop - that I try to avoid using.
Why? Because the end of it is loose, and if you don't push the tape back
toward it, the measurement can be off by nearly 1/8".

I was in Lowes today, and checked out their tape measures - even on the more
expensive ones the end of it was loose! One was even worse than the one I
have.

I've mostly used a folding carpenter's rule with a metal insert for 1" - 6",
because the tape measure isn't reliable.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks -

Nick B

I use a tape measure for anything over 3 feet or so. It has a loose
edge so that it measures the same when you hook the end over
something, as when you are pushing the end against something. Try your
tape measure hooked over the end of a ruler, then put the ruler end
down on the bench, with the tape measure end next to it on the bench.
If the tape measure is not worn or damaged it will read the same.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland