Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default RS & Parcelforce

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message lEPZn.173226$NW.8404@hurricane, Arfa Daily
writes
Today, I ordered five 8 pin chips from RS. And how are they coming ?
By DHL for christ's sake. Why ? It's coming 10 miles down the road
from Corby. Use the Bloody Post office and a Jiffy bag ! It's gotta
be cheaper than using a courier for small packages, hasn't it ?

I get this all the time "can't you just post it?"

No I f'king can't

Who do you think is going to leave work, go 15 minutes down the road,
stand in a queue behind half a dozen people for another 15 minutes and
then come back having lost all in all about an hour of productive work

-- geoff

But a company the size of RS is going to have Royal Mail collection, so
nobody is going to have to go down to the Post Office, are they ?

But that's what I'm getting asked to do on occasions

Do you drive down to whoever you use as a courier every night ? No, of
course you don't. The whole point is that they, and others like them,
used to employ common sense and joined up thinking, and use the
delivery service that was the most appropriate and cost effective for
the size of the shipment,

No, they have never done that in my experience

good example I remember well a couple of years ago

they sent me a toroidal transformer in a jiffy bag and some other light
items in a cardboard box separately

and the destination. RS certainly used to send small local items out by
Royal Mail. Now, some kid with a university degree in logistics
stupidity, determines that everything is going to get sent out via some
half-arsed courier that they've done a deal with to save a penny here
and there, and sod the requirements of the customer ...

It is a sheer bloody nuisance not knowing when a small package is going
to arrive, especially when parts are needed for a job in a hurry. It is
also a bloody nuisance when they need a signature, and won't leave a
package if they can't get one, even when it is in a Jiffy bag, and
would fit through the letterbox. If you then need the bits in a hurry,
you have to drive perhaps 20 or more miles to their depot, after the
truck finally gets back, and before their collection desk closes. At
least if the Post Office can't deliver personally, it's back with them
just down the road, by lunchtime.

Arfa

--
geoff