Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Electrical Wizards, Another Panel/subpanel question

On 7/9/2010 11:35 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:39:21 +0000 (UTC), Wayne Whitney

On 2010-07-09, Steve wrote:

And it's all the same building. Actually, the panels are only about
8 feet apart, but in different rooms.

gfretwell is exactly right about the need for the disconnects to be
grouped, I missed that. Whoever installed the second panel installed
a violation which should be fixed. So the second panel should be
converted to a subpanel of the first main panel, which would require a
4-wire feeder from the first main panel. Hopefully it wouldn't be too
hard to do since it is only 8 feet away.

Cheers, Wayne

Bear in mind, I also said I would not lose any sleep over the way it
is done now. This is a technical violation but I don't see a huge
safety issue since the service disconnect is on the pole. The fire
department would pull the meter anyway and the homeowner knows what he
has.

I'm not a thinking that a 50+ year old installation is under much code
restriction. I didn't even mention that the first MAIN panel is on the
outside of the house. LMAO! No one's too worried about the small stuff
here in this area.

--
Steve Barker