Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Does a 1,000 gallon propane tank get special paint (any ideas ona pattern?)

On Jul 10, 8:13*am, Kat Rabun katspianostudio...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 04:03:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
There is alot better than Krylon , by many x better.

Do I really need to put primer on first (over the existing paint), then the
paint, and then a "sealer".

What sealer would you use? Is that the same as a varnish? Or laquer?

You need to wash and clean it real well, is there any rust? That could
be serious if its bad, the finish should be sanded if its glossy but
you said 15 years so the gloss should be long gone. For my tanks I use
a drill with wire brush to remove rust and prime with Rustoleum rusty
metal primer, Over good old paint no primer is usualy necessary
unless it is chalking, if chalking it needs special cleaning. Since
you dont know paint, take a few photos of it to a real paint store
like Sherwin Williams and let them direct you on how and what to do
and what to use from start to finish. Without seeing a photo im just
guessing, and any rust can ruin a tank fast. If it gets complete shade
it can be any color otherwise white or only a very light color should
be used, photos and pro advise by seeing them are best. A quart of
paint may be all thats needed and rolling on a few coats can be 4 x as
thick as spray cans. Alot of sprays like Krylon are heavily modified
over the years to not produce air pollution so quality of product I
dont trust to a commercial grade product in a can. All the water
towers and bridges ive seen are sherwin williams paint , often a 2
part catylised epoxy, but even a good Oil house pant will do, and beat
latex, latex breathes more than oil and doesnt protect as well from
moisture and rust, rust is the main enemy of your tank. Cleaning and
prep and the most important issue for a long life job, so take a photo
and go to a real Paint store, not HD or Menards.