Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TMI TMI is offline

Default Repairing an expensive speaker

FYI.....

HI Tom,
We only recone with authentic Tannoy parts returning the speaker to
exact new condition. I haven't priced this kit recently, but about one
year ago, charges for us to recone the low frequency were $440.00
each. I can check the price on Monday to make sure there haven't been
any major changes, but generally there are only a few dollar
differences or none at all. The more important question will be
availability and if you are interested, I will pursue that too.
I'm glad you saw our Over the Tannoy Post. What did you think of it?
the website?
Cathy Satin The Speaker Exchange®
1250 E. Hillsborough Avenue • Tampa, FL 33604
Phone:1-800-849-6972 • 1-813-237-4800
Fax: 1-813-238-3558 Mon-Fri 10-5:30 est, 1st Sat
of e month 10-3:00
AIM:cathyspex Skype: speakerex
http://www.twitter.com/speakerex

Speaker Sales, Service, and all your repair needs since 1977

Please send us your impressions, comments or suggestions concerning
our new improved site www.speakerex.com
SHIPPING instructions and REPAIR FORMS: http://tinyurl.com/2c3e27k

On Jul 9, 9:31*pm, TMI wrote:
I'll bet they don't have the machine required to degauss and
remagnatize your speaker. Or you are talking to a salesman trying to
manimize profit. There is no loss of flux with the correct size
equipment. In fact, there will be more flux in a newly charged magnet
compared to one that has been in service for a while.

In the macro economics of it all, a reconer has to charge you so much
to repair that magnet that it exceeds the value of a good basket core
(speaker without the cone/voice coil). It will never be exactly like
the uncracked one on the other side. No used speaker is worth more
than a core + the recone job and that is very close to the cost of a
new speaker.

Now there are some unique drivers out there that are not available
anymore but in most cases it makes real sense to measure the TS
parameters of the remaining driver and make a good substitution using
those numbers if a true replacement cannot be found.

Someone who is REALLY into restorations might have a similar piece of
ferrite or other magnetic material to replace the cracked magnet.
There is NOTHING wrong with repairing a magnet that way, then charging
the assembly.

I have been doing this for 4 decades and that is my professional
opinion.

Tom Maguire
TMI Engineering

On Jul 9, 4:08*pm, Ron wrote:

On 09/07/2010 19:36, TMI wrote:

This is a horse of a different color.

You can't repair a cracked magnet and get the same flux in the gap
because the crack adds extra gaps. Getting the magnet to crack in the
first place usually means something horrible happened to the driver.
Buy a new one.

Cracked ferrites _are_ repaired but only as a last resort in cases where
there's no alternative. We've been through this recently on another n/g..
It's not recommended, but it can be done.

According to a large professional loudspeaker repair company I contacted
on the subject, de-magnetising and remagnetising also is to be avoided
as it loses flux.

Ron(UK)
Get the free SPAMfighter hehttp://www.spamfighter.com/len

The Professional version does not have this message- Hide quoted text -