Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Epoxy to fill knot voids at edge?

On 7/10/2010 7:17 AM, Jay Pique wrote:
The only thing I think I
must watch out for is over sanding, since the epoxy is much harder
than the pine and it ends up a bit proud. In this case it won't
matter, but someday it might.

With the 5-minute epoxy there's a window of time after it has set up
firm during which you can slice it off with a sharp plane blade flush
with the surrounding wood. It's one of two uses I've found for the
Lee Valley flush-trimming plane, the other being to slice off
polyurethane glue squeeze out.

JP

That's true of pretty much any epoxy, not just the 5-minute variety. BTW, most
5-minute varieties yield pretty crappy results in terms of strength and holding
power; you're better off using the slower-curing epoxies if you want the best
quality. Most commercial grade epoxies I've used that yield these kinds of
results take at least a half hour to "kick" (get thick and gooey), and about 4
to 6 hours before they can be sliced and planed (like you mentioned), and at
least 6 to 8 hours before they can be sanded, preferably overnight. Good epoxy
can't be rushed.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.