Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7096 Ignoramus7096 is offline

Default The mill is creeeeepy

On 2010-07-10, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:44:21 -0500, Ignoramus30064

On 2010-07-10, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:45:39 -0500, Ignoramus30064
wrote:

... Because it "creeps".

I have only one axis (x) wired right now. When the drive is powered on,
but with no input signal, the table imperceptibly slowly creeps. I
only noticed it because some tools fell off the table as it moved by
perhaps 8 inches in an hour.

There is a "test/offset" pot on the board that, if turned properly,
shifts input signal and makes the table move. I could easily set it so
that the mill does not _visibly_ move. I have not, however, been able
to get rid of the slow creep.

I may call AMC on Monday to find out.

Either you have voltage on the input (1-10vt) or you have rate
gain/test offset set too high. Test your input on a millivolt scale and
see if there is a trickle of power getting to the servo. Sounds like
there is. Might want to put in a 100 ohm resistor or something to get it
down to nada. If you have a scope..check it for trace AC as well. it
should be clean DC coming in...or nothing at all. If you have a leaky
diode..you might be getting a trace of AC or flutters.

I use a lot of AMCs on OmniTurn cnc lathes..but dont want to compare
them with mill uses.

Maybe it is a gain issue.

There really is no input: I use a reversing Lego switch to send signal
to from a little power supply to the amplifier, and the switch was off

Is the Lego a mechanical switch? I used to put a resistor across the
signal input on solid state relays to keep them from switching on for
a cycle once in a while.

Pete Keillor

Purely mechanical.