Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default RS & Parcelforce

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

Nowhere near as drastic as the change Baxters made to "Royal Game Soup"
in the 1980s. It used to be a decent game broth using game (pheasant,
venison, hare) and very little else then Baxters decided to keep selling
it at the same price but to change the ingredients to well, mostly
vegetables and "rusk". It's now even more ****e than it was then as a
result of "new improved recipe".

Baxters soups have generally gone downhill, ime, but the RG is the most
disappointing, I agree.
I used to have an image of Ma Baxter slaving over a huge pot, churning
it out, but for decades it's been a giant industrial process, just like
every other maker. I see they sold off the chilled soups to Northern
Foods in 2008. Hohum, more industrial muck.