Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default OT Cheeky ******* Pt2 - Latest News

On 10 July, 13:18, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

In message , geoff writes

Snippppp.

Beware of smug old gits sticking rigidly to the limits?

Anyone that thinks there are fixed limits doesn't know how to drive.
They are and always have been variable limits in the UK.. the maximum
safe speed up to the posted speed limit.

"the maximum safe speed up to the posted limit." I quoted. Just circa
12 months ago, you posited that there were other reasons for limits
such as noise in urban areas. I acknowledged that you were right. Now,
you are saying that the limits are maximum "safe" limits. You cannot
have it both ways.

I have not said that.
Read it again and ask someone to explain it if you still think I said
that the speed limit was the maximum safe speed.

Ah - that was a joke then ...

I hate to join a losing side but.... speed limits can only be a
compromise. Vehicle age/performance varies hugely as does that of their
drivers.

To support Dennis, yes that's me in the middle lane at 75mph, relying on
the *good sense* of drivers is a recipe to bring out the worst in us all.
Why is that one high speed vehicle in the outside lane is invariably
followed by several copy cats? Why is it on an F1 weekend roads will be
loaded with black BMWs rushing about noisily. Why is it that the home
going V12 something always finds it necessary to pass on the one 60mph
stretch of by-pass with reasonable visibility, the next 5 miles are
30/40mph so it can't possibly save time.

Something they should have got over aged 17.

Motoring is not meant to be fun. The days when rally groups rushed about
on *treasure* hunts or the run up to Watford Gap services and back when
the M1 was new are long gone.

Rallies still rush about on roads, however they lose points for exceeding
the speed limits between stages even if they aren't caught by the police.

Its amazing how many idiots will speed but won't enter a legitimate race
because they know they are pathetic drivers and can't even control their
vehicle properly let alone understand the hazards.

Anyway just to pee off the others, that's another ~30,000 miles last year
and still no speeding tickets or parking fines or any other incidents where
I couldn't avoid the other idiots.

The other thing I have noticed recently is how many Sikhs are stopping to
let me out of junctions these days, far more than the none Sikhs, being
courteous when driving does work with some.

how do you know they are sikhs?

Jim K