Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Digging a 50-foot ling 6-inch deep 4-inch wide trench on a rocky steep slope?

Terra Arcane wrote:

Just curious if you know a better way to dig a 50 foot long 6-inch deep
4-inch wide trench on a steep slope along the driveway in rocky soil?

It's to bury a remote gate opener sensor wire (12 volt).

I'm guessing my options a
1. Shovel (back breaking)
2. Gas-powered ditch digger machine (might not handle the slope?)
3. Pressure washer (slow)
? and other ideas ?

In rocky soil, my weapon of choice would be a grub hoe- like a
pick-axe, but one side is a heavy duty hoe.

[if it wasn't for the rocks, I like my mattock= but it is a little
lighter duty]

Glad I looked for a picture. nomenclature is tricky. This place
calls them both mattocks.

http://www.easydigging.com/Garden_To...k_mattock.html

I call the one they call a 'pick mattock', a 'grub hoe'- and the
lighter ones on the left, mattocks. Note the longer handle- go for
it.

Jim