Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default The mill is creeeeepy

Ignoramus30064 wrote:

... Because it "creeps".

I have only one axis (x) wired right now. When the drive is powered on,
but with no input signal, the table imperceptibly slowly creeps. I
only noticed it because some tools fell off the table as it moved by
perhaps 8 inches in an hour.

There is a "test/offset" pot on the board that, if turned properly,
shifts input signal and makes the table move. I could easily set it so
that the mill does not _visibly_ move. I have not, however, been able
to get rid of the slow creep.

I may call AMC on Monday to find out.

Dude, *it doesn't matter*, your CNC control takes care of it. You need
to spend some time reviewing servo loops, the drive is little more than
a power amplifier, it is the servo loop with the encoder and CNC control
that controls the position, not the motor drive.

The CNC control's servo loop monitors the encoder and when it shifts a
count it will just adjust the signal to the drive to compensate. This is
why when the servo loop is running you can grab the motor shaft and try
to turn it and the harder you try to turn it the harder it will resist
you. This is also why you use encoders with sufficient resolution that a
few encoder counts doesn't equate to any appreciable axis movement.