Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Some success with a servo drive/tachometer mode

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
I could never get it to run at super slow speed in voltage mode, but
could easily do so in tach mode. It was kind of nice to see.

Disclaimer:My control uses a Galil dedicted real time controller so your
results may differ.

Torque mode is the preferred mode for most all applications, certainly
for what you're doing. Precise smooth control is not an issue at all with
lathe and mill applications.

Why do you say this? Most of the older machines had tach feedback and
velocity servo
amps, and many still do, in one form or another. Are you serious that
"precise smooth control"
is not an issue in machining applications? Or, are you saying that torque
mode control can be just as
smooth?

Jon, I'm just saying the first rule of good engineering is KISS.

Torque mode is simple and will work very well for Iggy.

Karl