Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Should have got one years ago - welding auto-mask

Not being gifted with three arms and always having difficulty striking
the arc in the right place, I have been thinking of getting one of
those auto- darkening welding masks since they first appeared on the
market.

I saw a new unused one in its box for £10 at a car boot sale, so
grabbed it. For those also considering.....

It makes it so much easier. You can see through the lens with mask
down, right up to the instant when the arc is struck. My version uses
solar charged lithium cell(s) - no batteries to replace. Three
adjusters for sensitivity, how dark it goes and how long it should
remain dark at the end of welding.

I just need to source some of, what is suggested to be - splatter proof
clear outer lens material. Anyone know of a cheap source?

It looks like thin plastic or acrylic, which could likely be cut down
to the size needed. All I have come across before have been glass.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)