Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Steel Conduit Question

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne wrote in news:qLOZn.6657$KT3.6197
@newsfe13.iad:

If the Romex was exposed where it came out of the conduit, a
clamp would be required that fits on the end of conduit.

I don't think that's correct.

Whether it is necessary or not, I'd put the clamp on and strip
the wire off the jacket that is in the conduit, as originally
suggested.
I had an inspector not like the fact I had the ground wire come
out of the conduit with no termination on the end of the conduit.
The only thing in the conduit was the ground wire to the water pipe.

I don't like the idea of running machines off of romex, personal
choice. If your looking for ease I'd run greenfield (bx without the
wire) and
then pull the wire through that. They also have conduit to greenfield
connectors.

Thanks for the input. I thought about running BX, but snaking it through
the wall would be a nearly impossible task. It's going to be enough fun
doing it with Romex.

These aren't heavy duty machines. The mill & lathe are both 110V single
phase, and lesss than 1 HP motors.

Stripping the wire in the conduit has also been mentioned by someone
else. Is there any reason it can't be left in the jacket? It's only
running ~ 10 inches to get through the conduit, and leaving the jacket on
would provide a little extra protection where it comes out into the
breaker box.

Doug White

There's no reason to strip the jacket off, but the EMT shouldn't run
straight into the box if you are running romex in it. BTW, with respect to
a previous suggestion, Greenfield is not meant to be run in place of
conduit, it is for whips running to motors that require flexibility.