Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Do ozone generators really kill mold spores?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 1:28 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
wrote in message

Do they need to be particular size/intensity to work? Also is
there
some kind of test kit that you can buy to test for mold?

Thanks!

I have one I purchased from a Canadian manufacturer. It
produces
5 GRAMS per hour and is a commercial-type unit. Unlike some
folk,
I really like it, but use it sparingly. For instance, in a
past
home, I had it controlled with a timer to come on 3 days or so
before we planned to return from a trip. I had it run for 24
hours and then let the ozone degrade for the 2 days before we
walked in the door. If there was any odor at that point,
opening
windows for a few minutes took care of it, and the house would
then have a fresh scent. I never noticed any degraded items in
the house and certainly never breathed the ozonated air inside
the
house when the unit had been run.

That's the way to do it, if you're going to do it.

Ozone does kill mold spores, but it does not penetrate deeply.
Mold
growing in carpeting won't be killed. If someone can come up
with a
way to kill mold simply and safely without resorting to bleach,
scrubbing and a lot of labor, there won't be a bank big enough
to hold
all of the money.

I agree. I like the Ozone generator to freshen up the house's
smell. We're in the process of locating a 1-story home to replace
our present 2-story one here. When we close on a new one, it's
going to get several days of Ozone before we even start moving
stuff in, and perhaps another day of it after the move, but before
we occupy the place. I also have used mine in the bathroom- first
running the hot shower for a few minutes, then giving it an hour
or two of ozone to kill smells and mold. It also works well in
the auto overnight.

Nonny

--
On most days,