Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default filling hinge mortises?

On Jul 9, 9:15*am, N8N wrote:
Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. *I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) and chisel new ones in a different
location. *I'm trying to think what to buy when I go to the store;
shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) *I thought of
using paint sticks but I think they will be too narrow. *(3-1/2"
hinges) *they did save my butt once on an old paned window though;
someone had busted the thin bit of a mullion and a paint stick shaped
with a knife was just the right size G *my landlord thought I was a
genius... (he was easily impressed)

It's a toss up between cutting wood or using Bondo. They'd both take
about the same amount of time, once you figured in planing or sanding
to get a smooth surface, but I'd go with wood because I don't like
sanding resins unless I have to.

The Borg sells thin wood in small sizes, as does any crafts store. If
you go to a Sherwin Williams store and ask nicely, they'll give you
some large paint stirrers that are used for bigger buckets.

Are the existing hinge mortises so far off that you can't re-use the
locations?