Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John John is offline

Default Repairing an expensive speaker

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 08:22:27 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion
but until now nobody has answer my original question that
was the type of glue to use to glue the coil to the 2" tube.

But the question /has/ been answered -- contact the manufacturer and ask it
what the appropriate adhesive is.

You want us to give you the answer you'd like to have -- and I, for one, am
not going to do it. The manufacturer should know best.

That was the first thing I did and the answer from Tannoy was:

"We don't have the kit but you may get it from company x. Then send
the complete assembly to the closest Tannoy service center (200 miles
from my residence) and we will do the reconing.
We don't recommend changing the coil."

The installation of the kit is easy. It is self center and it doesn't
have play adjustments.

In order to do a god job, I should order 2 cone kits from England but
the total cost including transportation, duty an taxes will be more
than $1k.

The speaker with less damage has about 6 turns dislocated as a group
from the rest of the coil that looks solid.
I am going to read again your recommendations about the glue, paint
the 2" tube with that glue and slide the 6 turns group into their
previous position.

If this works I may try to rewind the other coil "fat chance"

Then I may order one or two kits from England and do the reconing
myself.

Thanks for all your help.

John