Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default OT-DA prossecutes victim

"azotic" wrote:

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. - Admitted thieves are going free, while an elderly Wheat
Ridge man is facing the possibility of spending the rest of his life behind
bars, all, he says, for trying to defend his property and his life.

82-year-old Robert Wallace said in February that he looked out his window
and saw two men hooking his flatbed trailer up to their pickup. He yelled at
them to stop, but they sped away, stealing his trailer. He told police he
fired two shots at the pickup.

Minutes later, police say 32-year-old Damacio Torres dropped 28-year-old
Alvaro Cardona off at a hospital emergency room with a gunshot wound to the
face.

Sadly, in most states, a robber carrying out your swag, can give you the finger while
walking out of your home as long as he isn't visibly armed and is moving away from you and
there isn't a thing you can do about it.

I suspect if in such a situation I shot the guys car tires out before he got into his get
away vehical, I'd be charged with some crime for non lethally detaining him.

We are making some progress such as some states have laws enacting 'Castle Doctrine'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine that draws some lines as far as shoot / no
shoot. I'd have to look into for my state but I'm pretty sure someone driving off with my
trailer would be a no shoot since it is parked in the yard and not in a garage that is
attached to my home.

In this gents case, I hope for jury nullification.

I'd also like to know if the illegals are walking free at the moment.

Wes