Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum V-Belt Speed Reducer Ultra Light 'Auto' Engine 'Airplane' Propeller

fired this volley in
:

Cannot be done any more LLoyd. Can't even rebuild a certified doing
51% and get it passed as experimental any more - in Canada due to
interference by the US FAA who won't let such a plane fly in US
airspace.

I haven't tracked that sort of stuff in years, since I'm not flying much
anymore, and only rental planes. Are you saying it's illegal in Canada,
or by virtue of being illegal in the US, Canadians can't do it too?

It used to be possible to privately modify pretty much _anything_ without
STC'ing the changes, then re-inspect as experimental.

(Yeah... I know about the costs of STCs. I have one of those famous #2
yellow pencils from PanAm in my flight bag. They're said to have been
worth almost $400 each the first few years they were issued to flight
crews).

LLoyd