Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Concrete Construstion

On Jul 9, 3:05*am, wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:44:57 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

chaniarts wrote:
Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

Concrete construction is common in Central America and other
Latin American locales. *Other than being hurricane and
earthquake resistant what are the advantages and disadvantages
of this construction?

Thanks,
Gary

termite and insect proof
more long lasting

Not to mention, in a lot of areas in the world, trees big enough and
straight enough to make lumber out of, are a long expensive distance
away. Even in southern US coastal areas, because of the climate, I'd
look real hard at concrete- I own a house in Lake Charles, LA, and the
climate down there rots anything wood-based in a few short years.

The other thing that makes AM right is the cost of the Simpson clips
necessary to make a stick built home wind code compliant in a place
with a wind code. That can easily be another 70% over the cost of the
wood and a pant load of extra labor. Basically every vertical stick
gets a clip in each end.- Hide quoted text -

There are many ways of overcoming this problem. There are no "codes"
in Latin America.