Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default filling hinge mortises?

On Jul 9, 11:05*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:59*am, N8N wrote:

On Jul 9, 9:59*am, willshak wrote:

N8N wrote the following:

Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. *I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) and chisel new ones in a different
location. *I'm trying to think what to buy when I go to the store;
shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) *I thought of
using paint sticks but I think they will be too narrow. *(3-1/2"
hinges) *they did save my butt once on an old paned window though;
someone had busted the thin bit of a mullion and a paint stick shaped
with a knife was just the right size G *my landlord thought I was a
genius... (he was easily impressed)

thanks

nate

Go to AC Moore, Michaels, or other hobby store and pick up some
hobby/craft Basswood planks (not balsa).
They are about 2' or 3' long, 3" or 4" wide, and various thicknesses.
AAMOF, I have a left over piece in my hand that is 3/16" thick and 3"
wide. This particular piece was cut and is currently 17" long.
I built dollhouse furniture with it.

Ah, so they do sell same? *I have a Michael's on my way home from
work, I will def. check this out. *I knew there had to be an easy
solution, just couldn't think of it.

nate- Hide quoted text -

Not a particularly cheap soltion as hobby wood is well made and nicely
finished. *I used to use it in RC gliders.

if it saves me time, it's worth it. Besides, I think I paid $12 for
the door at the architectural salvage (that's a fancy phrase for
"house junkyard.") Probably already paid more than that for the
hinges, I don't recall.

nate