Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell[_2_] Borrall Wonnell[_2_] is offline

Default Basic stairway 'adjustment'

On Jul 9, 12:53*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 9, 3:19*am, Borrall Wonnell wrote:

Stairs with one odd riser are dangerous. *That riser is known as a
"tripper" for very good reasons. *My BIL built a log house in Canada
back when and due to logs shrinking as they dry, the second floor kept
lowering. *He had a 'tripper' in the stairs and even knowing it was
there I would stumble on it.

Agreed, I'm convinced. By the time the finished flooring is
installed, it'll be more like 1.5" difference. A definite 'tripper'.
I'm still thinking about that landing idea though...in which case I've
got a lot more to worry about than building a couple of stringers.

Best to redo the stringers. *The math and layout involved are not that
bad - check out a carpentry book and read up on it.

The math isn't my concern...it's my skill with a saw!