Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell[_2_] Borrall Wonnell[_2_] is offline

Default Basic stairway 'adjustment'

On Jul 9, 10:22*am, willshak wrote:
Borrall Wonnell wrote the following:

5. Build a small landing at the bottom that is as level as the bottom
step. This will break the rhythm of the previous stair riser heights. It
doesn't have to be large, but just enough to take another flat footstep *
The brain will then discard the previous rhythm and prepare for the new
rhythm, i.e. the one step that is 1.25" less in riser height.

Nice one...I see you've got your thinking cap on!

A landing was my preferred option, because it allows extra width for
the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. It would also simplify one
of my partition walls due to an obstruction at the other end of
basement.

However, there will be a door opposite the stairs, 36" away. Door
location is due to rough plumbing (bathroom)...only way to move the
door away from the stairs would be to move the rough plumbing. Might
get expensive!