Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing an expensive speaker

In article , John wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:56:33 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:15:18 +0000 (UTC), root wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Seek out a professional reconing shop. You need some specialized tools
of the trade and some talent to recone. My good friend did it for a
living until he passed away recently. He would advise the same even if
you didn't chose his service.

You can buy kits for reconing speakers. It isn't a
hard job.

Trust me, it isn't an easy fix. Just what ****ing experience do you
think I might not have had with reconing. Don't make assumptions.

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion but until
now nobody has answer my original question that was the type of glue
to use to glue the coil to the 2" tube.
Since we want the sound to come out of the cone, the connection
between the cone and the coil should be as rigid as possible and that
suggests the use of epoxy but what about heat dissipation and how to
remove a coil glued with epoxy to the tube, if some thing goes wrong?

If your afraid if something goes wrong, you take the advice and get
somebody to do it.

Airflex 400 is flexible, for surrounds and other repair.

The type of treatment is going to depend on what you have.
Whats the VC made out of, what kind of wire does it have.
How is it wound.
What kind of glue did they use.

By the way, I NEVER work on just one speaker.
Units must be matched for sound.

Try superglue.
Try COIL DOPE. polystyrene plastic dissolved in a solvent, toluene
You really want to use that thermal epoxy don't you.

greg