Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum V-Belt Speed Reducer Ultra Light 'Auto' Engine 'Airplane' Propeller

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
news
But it's not the NTSC that brings liability suits. It's the relatives
of the deceased, and the ambulance-chasers who find them.

True enough, but it's already a precedent that anyone who (yes,
illegally, Clare) modifies a certified plane or builds an experimental is
entirely responsible for any ill that befalls him/her in that aircraft.
The courts have taken the stance over and over that if you jump off that
roof, I'm not responsible just because I built the roof you decided to
commit suicide from.

And Clare... if you modify a certified aircraft, you aren't illegal if
you pull its certification and have it re-inspected as an experimental
(or have the modifications subsequently certified). Had a friend who
used to modify DC-3s and C-47s for a ten foot cargo door in the side.
(which was a MAJOR chop-job to the airframe) Since he was selling them to
Columbians (for _cargo_... now, what were you thinking!), he just had
them re-listed as privately-owned experimentals, and let the Columbian
aviation officials worry about certification matters.

LLoyd