Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic stairway 'adjustment'

On Jul 9, 8:22*am, willshak wrote:
Borrall Wonnell wrote the following:

Hi all,

I've got 7 steps in my concrete-floor basement leading to a landing.
Now I'm adding a subfloor with a height of 1.25". *Stair stringers
will now rest on top of the subfloor. *Which is the best option?

1) Do nothing, (top step height reduced by 1.25")
2) Cut 1.25" off the bottom of the stringers (bottom step height
reduced by 1.25")
3) Cut 0.75" off the bottom of the stringers (0.75" reduction on top/
bottom step)
4) Build new stringers, adjusting each by 3/16"
5) ??

I'm slightly loathe to do #4, given my construction skills and the
relatively easy 'fixes' proposed in #1-3. *Thoughts?

5. Build a small landing at the bottom that is as level as the bottom
step. This will break the rhythm of the previous stair riser heights. It
doesn't have to be large, but just enough to take another flat footstep *
The brain will then discard the previous rhythm and prepare for the new
rhythm, i.e. the one step that is 1.25" less in riser height.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I'd build new stringers while the option is easy. I presume it's all
going to be finished later.