Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Epoxy to fill knot voids at edge?

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 05:33:36 -0700 (PDT), manyirons wrote:

Hi all,

I've been building a captain's bed for my son out of some old
reclaimed pine. Due to the limited amount of wood I was not able to
avoid having some knots at the edge of a face frame. One of them is
big and really shabby, with quite large voids. I'd like to fill it,
and I'm thinking epoxy would be the best choice. I really don't like
the look of wood filler when it gets any bigger than a BB.

Assuming you agree that epoxy is a good choice, how can I apply it?
At the edge of the board it's going to just run out, so I need to
block it while it sets. The blocking must not stick to the epoxy. I
don't have sheets of teflon, other than teflon plumbing tape. Is
there something else (like HDPE or polyethylene, which I didn't try it
yet) that will work instead? Alternatively, if I let the expoxy get
proud of the surface can I sand it down and hope to apply water based
Minwax Varathane and not see the sanding marks? In that case I can
block it with a few strips of wood and just plane/sand them away.
Actually, I'm inclined to think that's the best approach, so I may try
it on some scrap while I await more brilliant feedback from you guys.

If there's no other choice I can cut the offending chunk away and glue
in a replacement, but it'll lose a lot of character and just plain
won't look as good as I know it can.

I hope all this makes sense. Thanks for your advice.

- Owen -

take a piece of scrap and rub it with wax and clamp it
over void, will pop off easily after the epoxy sets.

basilisk