Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30064 Ignoramus30064 is offline

Default Some success with a servo drive/tachometer mode

On 2010-07-09, Karl Townsend wrote:
Anyway, I have one little thing to celebrate (the tach mode).

I also have a good grip on using that open barrel terminal crimper and
all crimps now come out looking good. I do a pull test on each, of
course.

I've never played with a tach. I'm assuming you still give the AMC drive
a -10 to 10 volt signal for direction and speed and the control does the
PID. I had read somewhere that a tach would help in super slow applications,
like a wire edm where feeds are .0X ipm. Let me know if you see benefits.

Yes, you give the drive a signal and the control minimizes the error
between the speed as reported by tach, and speed as commanded by the
signal.

The drive is, therefore, able to produce very precise speed.

I could never get it to run at super slow speed in voltage mode, but
could easily do so in tach mode. It was kind of nice to see.

I was told (and it makes sense) that ability to set velocity precisely
is useful for a lot of machining operations, smooth finish etc. You
could have your cutter move along some curvy curve and follow it
precisely and dynamically. The servo drives closes the velocity loop
continuously. The PC control does not have to close the velocity loop
by itself 5000 times a second based on encoder readings.

i mean 1,000 times pre second

I ordered one of the crimpers you suggest, got to be better than mine.

I would say, waste about 5-10 connectors to get a hang of it. The
connector can go in only one way. The crimper has an internal step,
kind of.

I still have no estop stuff done, I just pull out a fuse holder by
hand if something goes wrong.

I try to get at least something done every day.

Bought a BIG BOX of DIN terminals: