Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Portable tool stand idea

On 2010-07-09, Denis G. wrote:
On Jul 8, 8:29*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

* * * * Hmm ... there is a nice web like sleeving intended to go over
electrical cables. *Various colors in various sizes. *You push the ends
towards the middle and it expands, so it will fit a reasonable range of
file sizes. *I've just got some samples -- maybe I need to look up where
to get it and buy enough to handle all my files plus a bit. *(Several of
my files are in a vinyl pocket pouch which I picked up at a hamfest,
new. *The files were all Nicholson files, and some are safe-edge files,
which is why I bought the set in the first place. *I *love* safe-edge
files.

[ ... ]

I'm not sure I understand the advantage of having a safe edge for a
file (i.e. a smooth side with no teeth).

Let's say that you need a rectangular opening in an instrument
panel -- with sharp corners.

You can mill out the rectangle, but will wind up with rounded
corners, which man interfere with putting the instrument or control you
want into the hole.

The safe-edge files let you concentrate on squaring up one edge
at a time, without risk of the cut wandering too far into the other
edge.

Same with any other filing up to a shoulder when you don't want
to file the shoulder itself.

I do have some of those in
my collection. Most of the files that I have are second-hand, but
quite a few are in good shape and have seen little use. Some of them
have been ground for use as scrapers.

Quite a collection.

If you find a reference or source for the sleeving you mentioned,
plese let us know. I thought of making a roll up pouch to combine
some of the best of my files, but my sewing skills need more work.

O.K. I remembered that it is also used to protect machined
shafts in shipping. (There is a length of it on the shaft of the spare
spindle motor for my Bridgeport mill. So I looked in MSC's "Big Book",
and found it in the upper left-hand corner of page 2862 in the 2009/2010
Big Book.

A typical example is part number 31993090, which fits round
shafts from 1" diameter to 1-1/2" diameter. Color of this one is red.
The price is $0.89 for a 36" length. Up to you to figure out which
sizes you really want to use for a given collection of files. I guess
convert the perimeter of each file at its largest to a diameter, and get
sleeving which will accept that diameter. Maybe the next size up, in
case it does not like turning corners much.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564