Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Reflective paint?

ransley wrote:
On Jul 8, 6:13 pm, mike wrote:
The front of my house faces the evening sun.
When it's 100 outside, the brown front door is 184 degrees F.
Stuck a square of white insulation board in front of the door.
It got up to 107 degrees.
The light-gray house is at 164 degrees.
I started thinking about painting the front of the house white.
Did some online research and found mention of paint that's highly
reflective in both visible and IR parts of the spectrum,
but nothing on where to buy it.

Most info was about coatings for roofing.

There's even some ceramic sphere additive that claims to
cut solar heat gain to near zero. Seems like if this worked
as well as they claim, it'd be everywhere. Went to big-box
stores and dedicated paint stores. Nobody heard of it.

Will repainting the front of the house buy me anything?
The walls are R19 and the windows are low-E R3.3-ish with SHGC of .3.
Door is fiberglass r5-ish.

Reflective paint recommendations?

Thanks, mike

Gloss is reflective, if your door was gloss brown it would be maybe
5-20f cooler but white is best and will be nearest to 100f. I tried
the ceramic beads but not in your heat or sun. You could buy a pint
and do your own test,

I haven't discovered anywhere to buy it in small quantities.

in my tests it failed.
Details???

You need trees or
something to block the sun, its to bad they take forever to grow tall.

I did a stupid. Last week I trimmed the tree WAY back. Stupid, stupid,
stupid...